Redpath Mining (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd is 74% owned by J.S. Redpath Ltd (Canada) and 26% owned by Siyakhula Sonke Empowerment Corporation, a South African black economic empowerment (BEE) company.
The company is a focused mining contracting organisation, created in 1994 through the purchase of Basil Read’s underground mining company some seven years after its initial establishment in 1987.
Redpath Mining (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd has established itself and grown into what is a well established, competitive contracting market. It possesses proven competence throughout the South African mining industry, and benchmarks practices of its major competitors.
Mass growth, innovation for Redpath SA
A share transfer arrangement that saw Deilmann-Haniel (SA) (Pty) Ltd become Redpath Mining (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd marked the start of a new era of growth for this 35-year old South African contracting company.
Redpath has grown from a small contracting company into one of the big four shaft sinking and contract mining companies. Redpath Mining (SA) recently celebrated its one-million fatality-free shifts – an achievement that has increased twelve-fold in just two years.
Greater achievements are anticipated with the joining of forces within the Redpath Group of Companies, which will bring five subsidiaries together to transform the organisation into a major force in mining contracting.
Redpath Group is currently active on four continents (North America, South America, Asia and Africa), with projects in Canada, the United States, Guatemala, Indonesia, Mongolia, and Southern Africa. The Company has offices in North Bay, Timmins and Sudbury in Canada; Reno and Nevada in the United States; Santiago in Chile; Jakarta in Indonesia; Ulaan Baatar in Mongolia; and Johannesburg in South Africa. Redpath has been in business since 1962, and has performed work in more than 30 countries around the world since inception.
Globally, the Redpath name is synonymous with mining excellence and credibility, being in the top league of international contracting companies. The benefits for the South African operations include access to new and improved mining methods and technologies, which will challenge the traditional ways of, among other, shaft sinking.
“Technically, Redpath’s Canadian operations are far more mechanised and capital-intensive than the South African operations. We now have the facility to train our crews in new methodologies, and to apply the best practice of both companies in our operations.”
Redpath (SA) is currently working on its first greenfield shaft sinking job – a project that occurred as a direct result of the company’s involvement with Redpath (Canada). Moving into shaft sinking will provide the company with an opportunity to show its mettle in this fast-growing arena.
Redpath South Africa’s main activities are shaft sinking, underground contract mining and development work. We are moving into greenfields and brownfields projects – capital-intensive projects that are currently experiencing enormous growth in the worldwide market.
We are also in a position where we can now apply our skills to areas where they are best suited. Redpath boasts a multi-million rand order book in terms of construction, sinking and mining contracts under its management.
Redpath Current Projects:
- GHAGHOO Sand Tunnel – Client is GEM Diamonds and location is in Central Kalahari Botswana
- Phakisa Shaft – Client is Harmony and location is in Welkom, Free State
- COOKE 4# Gold/Uranium Mine – Client is Gold One and location is in Westonaria, Gauteng
- South Deep Gold Mine– Client is Goldfields and location is in Westonaria, Gauteng
- Doornbosch Chrome Mine– Client is Samancor and location is in Steelpoort, Limpopo
- Northam Platinum Mine – Client is Northam Platinum and location is in Northam, Limpopo
- Mooihoek Chrome Mine – Client is UWSG and location is in Steelpoort, Limpopo
Redpath Previous Projects:
- Kroondal K5 Platinum Shaft – Client was Aquarius and location is in Rustenburg, North West
- Nooitgedacht Colliery – Client was Greenside Colliery (Anglo Coal) and location is in Ogies, Mpumalanga
- Smokey Hills Platinum – Client was Australia Platinum and location is in Steelpoort, Limpopo
- Impala Platinum Mine – Client was Impala Platinum and location is in Rustenburg, North West
- ERPM Gold Mine – Client was ERPM and location is in Boksburg, Gauteng
Managing Director, Redpath South Africa
Mr. Douglas has over 20 years of mechanised and conventional mining experience. His management career has been furthered by a variety of disciplines such as shaft sinking, contract mining, exploration drilling, raiseboring and diamond drilling; both surface and underground operations.
Mr. Douglas’ executive responsibilities include the administration and management of all of our African operations.
Physical address: 18 Industry Road – Isando Ext 2 – Kempton Park – 1600
Tel: +27 (11) 570 4300
Fax: + 27 (11) 974 2075